28.04.11

History Walks

Following my luck always to win something, a few weeks ago I won two hours long walking tour around Amsterdam, thanks to English Breakfast Radio.

We agreed that the tour will happen exactly on my name day, so on Sunday afternoon Michael and me were ready to join three other people and our British tour guide. For the next two hours we walked and listened her stories about the history of Amsterdam during World War II and the Jewish population at that time. It was no surprise to hear that Michael was the first German taking part in this tour!

I must admit that I am a fan of history, although I do not think that it is a fan of me - I forget all the historical facts and important dates very fast, although I like to read history books and watch historical movies. Back in the school history was one of my favourite subjects as well (maybe thanks to the great history teacher).

I can definitely suggest the tour to anybody who is interested in history or has Jewish origins. I do not think that a lot of ordinary tourists will be interested in such a tour as it's not the most touristical one, but it really tells a lot not only about Jewish at that time, but also the city and Dutch people themselves. Having lived here for quite a while, it was interesting to see the city from a different perspective - and notice the signs and monuments which I would not notice otherwise.

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru