12.06.11

Manna or semolina?

Today I made semolina porridge for breakfast and it reminded me one of my first days in Malta, already a few years ago.

I had just moved from Latvia to Malta and it was my first time in Maltese supermarket, buying all the necessary food. I was looking for semolina porridge and couldn't find it, so asked:

- Where do you have manna?
- What???
- Manna. I want to make manna porridge.

The local Maltese were looking at me puzzled and then started to laugh, telling that I can find manna in the church, but not in the supermarket.

- No, no, no. In Latvia we have manna and I want to make manna porridge.

We did not manage to understand each other, so I left home without buying any semolina... Afterwards, telling this to my Mum ("Those Maltese have no idea what is manna porridge!") and Googling, I found out that actually Latvian word "manna" in English is "semolina" :)

I was so sure that it should be the same also in English - simply because it did not sound Latvian at all!

2 komentāri:

  1. It's the same word in Russian. I would have never guessed that it should be called "semolina". :)

    AtbildētDzēst
  2. In the US you look for Cream of Wheat... No one knows what semolina is. I had a hard time finding it here in France!

    AtbildētDzēst