08.03.11

Pancake Day

Did you know that today is not only International Women Day, but also Pancake Day?

I had no idea that such a Pancake Day even exists before this evening when one of the girls in my choir brought this topic up. It turns out that Pancake Day (also known as Shrove Tuesday) is the last day before fasting (also known as Lent) before Easter. It's the last day when you can eat everything you want, including all sweets and also pancakes.

My family is not religious and also Latvians as a nation are not very religious that's why I have just basic understanding of religious Easter traditions. I always colour eggs and make paskha with my grandma, but I have never fasted or gave up anything because Easter is coming and you need to sacrifise something.

How about you?

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru