31.05.11

Reading a new book

Sometimes you have those days when nothing seems to be good, when the philosophy "it can always be worse" and "find a sunlight in the black cloud" doesn't help. And sometimes even I have those days...

So this will not be a long blogpost, I will simply share with you a new book I am reading.

I found Ayaan Hirsi Ali's book "Nomad" in the English bookshop on Sunday evening when we went out for a walk and I felt like buying a new book to read. It was the only non-celebrity autobigraphy I could find in this bookshop (the cheapest one in Amsterdam), so I took it.

Turns out that Ayaan, born in Somalia, moved to the Netherlands and was even in Dutch Parliament. Now she is living in the US and speaks about the contradictions of Islam and Western cultures - basically saying how bad is Islam...

I haven't finished the book yet, so can't comment on it fully, but I can see that it is full of feelings how good is the Western society and its values and how bad is Islam... White vs black... A bit too radical, I think - even though she has islamic background herself.

2 komentāri:

  1. Have you seen the film "Submission", written by Hirsi Ali and directed by the late Theo van Gogh? It's available on youtube, very thought-provoking stuff...

    AtbildētDzēst
  2. Just saw it... I think that the book makes people think more than the film, although it's provokating indeed.

    AtbildētDzēst