12.05.11

Thinking about Dutch language

Yesterday I had a chance to participate in a workshop "Finding Dutch Flow", where for three hours 11 foreigners shared their thoughts and experience with Dutch language.

It was very interesting to hear why both those who are fresh in the Netherlands (only for three months or so) and those who have been living here for several years (even more than five) find it difficult to learn Dutch.

It made me realise that I am not the only one who has trouble learning Dutch - not because it is hard, but because in my case the student (read: me) is rather lazy and not very good in languages. Other participants had their own stories, fears and problems, but all together we had the same aim - try to learn Dutch in a near future.

The workshop leader Albert also gave us some insight into the Dutch mentality, making us realise why Dutch might want to be so open to Turkish and Moroccans learning Dutch, but do not really care if Latvian, British or other Europeans do. I had thought about it quite a few times myself, but only yesterday I realised that it might be also another way to keep the country and culture "safe" from neighbours. If they do not speak Dutch, they will not understand the secret signals... Even if the youngest generations do not realise and think so, some thoughts and feelings are "encoded" in blood from the previous generations.

I also got to know a few funny Dutch expressions and words I was not aware of.
  • Olifantenhuid - thick skin
  • Ik heb schijt aan... - I do not give a shit about...
  • Muisje - not only a small mouse, but also a sandwich topping

2 komentāri:

  1. They treat people with bread with muisjes when there is a baby born. :)
    Mums arī ar ziloņāda, vai tad nē? Vismaz krievu valodā.

    AtbildētDzēst
  2. Nē, Taņa, latviski nav gan - mums ir tikai "bieza āda" :)

    AtbildētDzēst