28.02.11

First day in the office

So here it comes! My first day in the office :)

Some background information.

Approximately a month ago I answered to a job/internship ad and got invited to an interview with two Greeks. When one of them called and invited me for an interview, I was about to say: "Hi, Manos, what's up?", but then I realised that it's another Greek calling :) Ah, Greek accent!

Although the interview went quite well, they decided to employ another person and I continued to look for another position in another place.

However, miracles happen. Last Monday I got a call from the same Greek again saying that they are looking for one more intern and asking if I am still interested. As I had two other job interviews that week, I decided to think for a couple of days, but on Thursday I finally said "yes" to them! If you remember my Facebook question "A or B", then you'll understand :)

So... After confirming my interest all I had to do was - to wait. On Thursday afternoon I got the final call with a short question: "Are you ready to start on Monday?" And I was!

So where does it leave me now?

From today onwards I am Lifestyle Editor of IamExpat - it's an online platform/website for all expats who are living in the Netherlands. For half a year I will be taking care of the lifestyle section, writing articles about different (cultural) events and updating the agenda there. I can hear what you are thinking - perfect job for Anita! That's right, baby! But remember, it's an internship, not a job - nothing in this world is perfect.

I need to be in the office four days a week (with pretty nice working hours), but as I am planning to go to Portugal in March, Latvia in July and some other trips, I will be in the office five days a week and take days off when it will be needed. Very flexible, that's what I like!

The office is quite small, there are three Greeks (co-founders of the website) and another intern, a Swedish girl. Two Nordic girls and three Southern guys, that's an interesting mixture! Already today during the lunch we had a discussion about weather in Latvia and I was like: "Yeah, it's nothing special, around -25 degrees back there, not so cold when I have my winter coat on", but the Greeks looked pretty terrified... :) Well, one of them is from Crete, where in the summer it can go up to +43, so that explains!

I will post my first articles in the blog as well, so stay tuned and check IamExpat website every now and then as well!

P.S. The picture is from their website.

5 komentāri:

  1. Sounds like a coll job/internship indeed!!! Lai veicas!!!
    aaaand..what that Greek guy is doing here in the NL..maybe here it is warmer than in LV but not better in that sense that in LV at least we have snoooow :)))

    AtbildētDzēst
  2. Hey, I met those Greeks during an expat party in Den Haag last summer!

    AtbildētDzēst
  3. Heheh, who is that anonymous person writing, so I can reply and say "the world (the Netherlands) is small"?

    AtbildētDzēst
  4. Nice post! Really much enjoyed reading it during our break on a hard-working evening. We are sure that the next posts will be even better, as more exciting days are coming ;)

    ps. -25 degrees; yes, too cold!

    Cu tomorrow morning,
    Panos (very close to Manos), Nikos, Sergios

    AtbildētDzēst
  5. Panos, Nikos, Sergios - still working? Now I understand why the coffee is needed in the mornings :)

    AtbildētDzēst