16.02.11

Van Gogh Museum

It is not easy to remember all museums and places I have seen in Amsterdam lately, but I will try my best :)

Last Friday I paid a visit also to Van Gogh Museum. I have been passing by it quite a lot by bike and quite often saw a lot of people in the queue outside, but never went inside myself. Now I finally managed to do it.

It was an early Friday morning when I went there, just 10-15 minutes after the opening of the museum. And I was surprised - it was so full! Not only individual visitors, but also a couple of student/pupil groups with a guide. Now I am wondering if it's always so crowded or it was just a coincidence?

As you might know, I do not have a huge interest in art, therefore I could not appreciate all the beautiful paintings there. I just wanted to get an impression of the museum and learn a bit more about this painter as all I knew was the incident about cutting off his ear.

My expectations got fulfilled. The museum is divided in several halls, each one showing his and other related artists' paintings from one period of Van Gogh's life. In each hall there is also a summary of his life at that time which I read with a big interest. I did not know that he was painting only for 10 years - and it's not so much if you know that he made more than 200 paintings, most of them being very nice ones!

I did not spend so much time looking at the paintings because then I would get bored, but I must admit that I did not expect them to be so beautiful. I wish I could have some at home :)

Conclusion - if you are an art or Van Gogh's lover, this museum is a must and you will love it (despite being crowded). If you are anything else, then it's not for you. The building is a new one, so you can't see Van Gogh's home or lifestyle at that time. For that you should rather visit Neunen, where there is another his museum. I haven't been to that one, but sounds interesting and I hope to visit in the future!

P.S. It was not allowed to take pictures, so enjoy some from Google!

1 komentārs: